Sunday 16 August 2015

The Great Yorkshire Fringe


Hi Everyone

I hope you are enjoying the summer holidays, for me it has been one of the busiest summers yet and I am having a lot of fun. As I write this I am at Danby Show with Punch and Judy, right now we are in between performances so I thought I would put my time to good use and write this blog. I am next to the band stand so whilst writing away I can hear king of the road being played by 30 banjos.

Onto the reason for this blog. I have only had a few days off this month and by chance they landed on The Great Yorkshire Fringe. Which is York’s version of Edinburgh Festival, an event which happens throughout August and has a variety of performers putting on shows for the public.

At Yorkshire Fest there was a few magic shows on the programme which caught my attention “West End Magic” being one of them. The show consisted of three magicians showing a variety of styles from manipulation, comedy and one I have not seen before experimental. Think about Live at the Apollo but with magicians instead of comedians. In my personal opinion some of the acts lacked a little something however I loved the style they were going for.

The second show “Morgan and West Utterly Spiffing Spectacular Magic Show for Kids & Childish Grown-ups.” (that’s a mouth full) I was intrigued to see what they would do being a children’s entertainer myself whereas Morgan and West are not. All in all the show was great and perfect for a family audience with tomfoolery that baffled the adults and lots of laughs and tricks the children could enjoy and take part in. I took a lot of ideas for my own act away from watching this show.  

The last performance was “Just like that! The Tommy Cooper Show.” I am a massive Cooper fan so much so I got a puppet made of him, strange I know but that’s one of the ways I express myself. I have seen a few shows based around Tommy already “A Night Out with Tommy Cooper - Jus' Like That” and “Being Tommy Cooper” I enjoyed each one for different reasons and for this show I liked the way he moved on stage you can see the actor John Hewer did his homework. 

It was a fun way to spend my few days off but now it’s back to work, the banjo players have finished so I am off to get ready for my next show.

You can keep up to date with me by following me on

Facebook at Children’s Entertainer Professor Dan Slater

And

Twitter @ProfDanSlater

Bye for now

No comments:

Post a Comment